This past week, a commenter named Centaur wrote:
Jocelyn and all the western women still reading this thread, maybe we should have a thread where Asian men can comment on what they love about western women.
Centaur, I can’t agree more! What a great way to honor the Western women in your life — or just honor us in general — during the month that includes International Women’s Day.
And even better, Centaur started it off with his own Top 10 List:
1) Your eyes. Deeply set, bright, shaded with long lashes, infinitely seductive. They can have so many colors — blue, green, gray, brown, … , and the color can even change with sunlight. If I stare into them, I’d forget what I was saying.
2) Your hair. Curly, soft, fine, always makes me want to run my fingers through it.
3) Your nose. Long, high, strong (no, I am not making fun of you). It gives your face so much character.
4) Your narrow cheekbones. Contrary to the typical Western view, we don’t find high cheekbones very attractive.
5) Your curves and long legs, they give you such a feminine look.
6) You know how to handle high heels.
7) You enjoy sex. You are open, evolved, and sexual.
8) You are affectionate and you love kissing.
9) You know how to put on makeup.
10) You like to work out and you age gracefully.
So to continue this, I pulled John aside and asked him what he loves most about me. And here are John’s Top 10:
1. My curves. Some readers might remember I wrote about how my husband helped me learn to love my curves — so it’s no wonder he considers this one of my “assets”!
2. My height. We may have three inches of separation between us, but he’s still proud to have a wife who stands taller.
3. My emotions. When I feel something strongly, I can’t help but let it show — which is different from John. You might say we balance each other, an “emotional yin-yang.”
4. My filial piety — whether towards his parents or towards other elders, like my grandma.
5. Good póxí guānxì (婆媳关系, relationship between me and my mother-in-law). I know, I know — one of my most popular posts talks about the troubling Chinese mother-in-law relationship. But actually, mine hasn’t really been all that troubling after we married, which is kind of a miracle!
6. Because he thinks I’m beautiful and a great cook. John actually expressed this with a Chinese saying: shàng dé liao tīngtáng, xià dé liao chúfáng (上得了厅堂，下得了厨房), or someone who can “meet guests (i.e. presentable), and go into the kitchen.” While this might sound kind of old-fashioned, I’ll still take the compliment!
7. My courage. When I returned to China for the second time in 2001 (after a year of teaching English from 1999 to 2000), I actually went alone — something that led my husband to privately dub me a “hero” (which is kind of funny to me!) and praise my courage. And while I know it sure doesn’t rank highest on the courage-meter, it’s definitely a sweet thing to appreciate.
8. Attentive. He said so for many reasons, but the fact that I’m a vegan and still make him his favorite meats — such as red-braised pork — definitely counts towards this!
9. My intelligence. I’ll be honest, I blushed at first when he told me this. But it’s kind of nice to have a man who loves that I’m a nerd.
10. Hardworking. Another one that makes me blush! And at a loss for words. (Thanks, Sweetie!)
And now it’s time to turn the floor over to you, the reader.
Asian men reading this — how about you? What do you love about Western women in general? Or what do you love about the special Western woman in your life? Tell us in the comments! You don’t have to have a Top 10 — it could be even one, two or three things.
Ladies, if your special guy or friend is too embarrassed to comment, feel free to post his answers below!